- Fruit seeds gathered in clumps and piles.
- Small branches and leaves stripped from trees and brush.
- A pile of fresh skat near a tree, flies buzz noisily nearby.
- Incoming stool, strikes the ground nearby. An almost human, suspiciously mocking laughter follows.
- A powerful, rhythmic screeching, joined by others, and more still from the trees in all directions. Then silence.
- Branches swing wildly across the PCs direction of travel, then to the sides, and behind. Not a sound beyond the rustle of limbs.
- A squad of apes (LL: 1/+0 ML: 7) flank the PCs and attempt to drive them back. Attacking, retreating, and pushing relentlessly forward. With each attack they become more numerous until they close in and a single large ape (LL: 3/+1 ML: 10) attacks directly with the tight, aggressive attacks from the flanks (2-12 apes).
- The PCs stumble onto a terrible war between two communities of apes. In the immediate conflict, competing groups (2d6 apes per side) of large combatants (LL: 2 ML: 10) make no distinction between their opponents and the PCs. The combat will rage until the PCs are well away from the brutal mess.
- A large, carnivorous ape (LL: 4/+1 ML: 11) attacks with viciousness and determination. Will fight, pursuing as necessary, to death or failed morale roll.
- 2d6 apes (LL: 1/+0 ML: 9) emerge from the treeline and puff their chests, gesturing loud and with menace. Roll 1d6 and add +1 following every PC action. On a roll of '6' the apes attack. If the PCs don't advance the conflict, they will simply hold their position though prevent any further progress forward.
- A bonobo, with wide friendly grin and an erect penis, moves rapidly/lustily towards a random PC. Player must respond NOW or PC surprised.
- A single ape (LL: 2/+0 ML: 5) with three more peering from the treeline (LL: 1/+0) attempts to awkwardly assert dominance. He will attempt to stand tall, pound his chest, and dominate the PCs. Following any and every aggression from the PCs, roll morale. On a fail he will retreat to catcalls.
- Swinging low from the trees, an agile young ape will attempt to snatch/wrestle free a random PCs backpack. Roll DEX or STR (PCs choice) at -1 to avoid or prevent. PC loses everything but their weapon and armor.
- A female mother, startled while feeding her young backs away from the PCs, screaming and threatening. 1d3 apes appear but none will respond unless further aggression from the PCs.
- A pair of eyes, noticed among the foliage, peer out at the PCs. This is followed by another and another and another, until scores of apes are seen hidden among the trees. Nothing happens but it sure is unnerving.
- 1d6 small apes beckon, then lead the PCs to a clearing where abundant food (local fruits and nuts) are available. PCs each acquire 1d3 days of rations.
- An ape approaches with an excited cackle. In its outstretched hand a treasure (Mixed Magic III).